Conecting new printer to a 286

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Wed Jul 7 14:31:41 CDT 2010

On Wed, 7 Jul 2010, MikeS wrote:
> Umm, yes, that's all quite obvious but I was commenting on Tony's
> suggestion below; considering that most inexpensive "modern printers" can no
> longer print ASCII, this is probably the way you'd have to go anyway:

THAT is the big problem.
Cabling an old computer to a "modern" printer, is not only difficult, but
futile unless you write drivers, or run it through the selection of
printer drivers in Windoze 3.1, Ventura's drivers, Paintbrush, etc.

If it really has to be a "cable" connecting the old or alien computer to
the modern printer, then take a early Pentium laptop, cable the alien
computer to the printer port of the laptop, cand cable the laptop to the
modern printer.  start the software, and then wrap the laptop and the
cables in a lot of duct tape until it looks like a cable with a lump.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com