17" CRT - Worth Keeping?

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Mon Jul 19 14:46:04 CDT 2010

> > FWIW, a lot of current UK LCD (and I assume plasma) TVs have RGB inputs
> > at TV rates (15.625kHz horizonatal in the UK) onthe SCART socket. I
> > assume those will work with older computers expecting a TV-rate monitor,
> > although how good the quality would be I don't know.
>
> I keep forgetting about these.  They do work.  But I know some people

Do American TVs normally have RGB inputs? As I said, UK ones do (and I
asusme European ones do too) on what is knwon as a SCART socket (a
strange 21 pin connector carrying 2 channels of audio, composite video,
RGB video, sometimes S video and a few other signals). We often also get
a separate compsoite video input on an RCA phono socket, 'component video'
(which appears to be luminance and 2 colour difference signals on 3 RCA
phono sockets), often a VGA input (DE15, of course) and HDMI digital inputs.

> dislike the look of LCDs, prefering tubes instead.  CRTs are obviously

I prefer CRT-based monitors when I have to fix them. The LCD ones
normally hagve a lot of very custom silicon in hard-to-solder packages
(BGAs sometimes) which are even harder to get as spare parts. At leas CRT
monitos have power transistors and things that I have a hope of getting
:-). Older LCD monitors (and I guess some cheaper ones now) had a very
poor contrast radio -- blacks looked dark grey -- which drove me mad.
Modern ones are a lot better in my experience.