Lightbulb police? (was RE: Anyone off to VCF-UK)

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Sat Jun 5 06:56:36 CDT 2010

> Yeah, I didn't get too deep into electronics either, but it was fun to
> play with circuits... mmm, my kid's about 6 now, I think maybe I'll see
> about helping him make a few simple circuits for fun, something like an
> LED and batter with a switch, or maybe a motor or two... just to see if

If you can find one (and they're not rare on E-bay), get an HP59306 realy
actuator. This is a box containing 6 changerover relays controlled by an
HPIB interaface, the relay contains are wired to 18 4mm terminals
(binding posts, if that's what you call them) on the back. Assuming you
have some computer with an HPIB port, you can do computer control of
lights, small motors, etc  very easily.

> there's any interest.  If there is, I'll see if those 50-in-1 kits are
> still available. :)  Sure would beat playing with legos.

2 Thoughts :

1) Lego Mindstorms :-)

2) _Old_ Fischertechnik. The new stuff is somewhat dumbed-down with too
many single-function modules, etc, bnt the old stuff from the 1970s and
1980s is _very_ educational. The only problem is being able to afford all
you want...