Lightbulb police? (was RE: Anyone off to VCF-UK)

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Sun Jun 6 13:52:01 CDT 2010

> Hmm, similar thing happened at my uni with Indys at around the same time -
> except the machines were bolted down, but the thieves cut holes in the tops of
> the cases and pulled the RAM out that way.

When the SIMM thieves hit Cambridge University when I was working
there, we discovered that if the PCs were assembed with normal screws,
the theives simply undid them and whipped out the SIMMs, doing little
damage. But if the cases were locked in some way (I seem to remembr Inmac
did various PC case locks at the tiem), then they were opened with a
crowbar. The memoery still disapperaed, but a lot more damage was done.

In fact the recomendation went round _not_ to use PC case locks as a
result of this.