OT: Cameras, cameras, cameras.. (was Re: Lightbulb police? ...)

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Fri Jun 11 20:01:03 CDT 2010

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010, Philip Pemberton wrote:
> > I once saw a digital camera wit ha 2-position focus control (normal and
> > close-up). it dit appear to move the lens on a focussing mount. There was
> > no autofocus, or anything like that.

Anything that increases the lens to sensor distance will decrease the
distance between camera and subject.  Short focal length lenses need less
movement, and have a wider range of "acceptable" focus.

> That's pretty much what these were, only without the focus switch.

> > I wonder if you could use front-of-lence closeup lenses? The resolution
> > of the sensor in such a caerma is not going to be great, so I doubt you'd
> > notice any loss of qaulity.

Yes.  With on the front of the lens "close-up" of "portra" lenses, it will
focus on a closer distance.  With some loss of lens sharpness.

> Probably. The macro mode on most decent digicams should do it as well.

The "slose-up" lenses will work on the INdecent ones even without a
"macro" (close-focussing) mode.

If you need good quality pictures of paperwork or circuitboards, get
something that will focus close, preferably with a "flat-field" lens (such
as a cheap enlarger lens)