Software-based floppy disc data separator

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Sat Jun 19 17:47:37 CDT 2010

On Saturday, June 19, 2010, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> "Having one on the shelf" is essential.  For example, you might have
> what looks to be a 5.25" floppy, but if it's a 2MB disk written in a
> Drivetec drive, you'll need the drive to recover the data.

Speaking of weird disk formats...

Has anyone managed to read an IBM "2.4MB" 5.25" floppy, such as those
used for microcode for 3174 terminal controllers and other mainframe
bits?  Hooking a drive up to a catweasel, and throwing a 2.4MB disk in
the drive never managed to produce anything useful for me (though I
think I could read DSHD "1.2MB" disks in it just fine that way.

Pat