partial P112 kits

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 21 14:42:42 CDT 2010

> On Jun 21, 2010, at 12:16 PM, Tony Duell wrote:
>
> > I am very unliklely to buy one, but in any case I wouldn't consider a =
> kit=20
> > unless it came totally unsoldered. That is no pre-mounted SMD parts...
>
> Why would you want to go through the pain of stuffing your own SMD =
> parts?

Because there's no pain, it's actually fun. And if I do it myself, I can
use the lead/tin solder which I still believe is more reliable.

> Note that it wouldn't necessarily make the kit any cheaper.  The cost of =

What has that got to do with it?

> stuffing the SMD parts was negligible compared to the total cost of the =
> kit.
>
> It is also my understanding that the CPU and FDC are both completely =
> unavailable in anything but PLCC packages.=

Actually, through-hole PLCC sockets exist (I built a number of transputer
boards using them and a roadrunner tool...). And there are SMD PLCC
sockets that take the same footprint as the IC. I would want to socket
all ICs unless there were technical reasons (heat disipation or stray
capacitance, for example) not to do so -- my experience is that good
quality sockets do not cause significant unreliability (and for something
like that that's nor eally an issue) but do make debugging and repair a
lot easier.