partial P112 kits

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 22 13:55:00 CDT 2010

> > Yeah, if I was buying a kit like this, I'd certainly want the surface
> > mount stuff soldered.  Requiring the skills and equipment to solder a
> > high pin count QFP device is a barrier to entry.  I'd likely
> > specifically avoid ordering a kit if this wasn't already done.
> >
> > Especially where the goal is to introduce people to retrocomputing, in
> > my eyes, there is no other answer.
> >
> > If there are some people that want to practice self-flagellation, then
> > let them take their soldering irons and join opus dei.
>
>   Oh good heavens.  This sort of stuff really just sounds like nothing
> more than knee-jerk automatic hatred of SMT by people who did what I

That's how I read it too.

> described in my last message, and it really does become irritating to
> those of us who know better.  Right now I'm sitting here (well, taking a
> break from it at the moment, actually) soldering sixteen boards with
> 0.5mm-pitch parts for another open-hardware project, and am having no
> trouble whatsoever.  I find it quite enjoyable and completely

Exactly, it's not hard.

For anything larger than 0.5mm it's pretty easy to do it with just a fine
tipped soldering iron, thin (SWG30 or so) solder and a solder wick to
clean off any bridges.

I remember the first time I did SMD rwrok, changing the LH5811 I/O chip
in an Sharp CE151 printer/plotter (for the PC1500 calculator). I was
worried abouit doing it, but when I actually did it and found every joint
was good first time with no shorts (yes I did check before applying
power), I wondered what all the fuss was about.

> trouble-free, and I'm by no means the smartest, best-coordinated, or
> best-sighted person here.  The equipment isn't particularly expensive
> (despite popular underinformed opinion), and the skills take an
> afternoon to develop.
>
>   If you were to actually TRY it, with the right tools, and the right
> mindset (as in "learning a new skill" rather than trying to treat it
> like it's through-hole soldering without the holes), I bet you'd love it.

This mentions another attitude I find puzzling. I indulge in my hobbies
in order to learn new skills (this is, I believe not uncommon, and
certainly not restricted to electronics, or computing, or engineering, or
related hobbies). SMD rework is another new skill. Why not gie it a go....