Apple 2e

Teo Zenios teoz at neo.rr.com
Thu Jun 24 18:19:44 CDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cameron Kaiser" <spectre at floodgap.com>
To: <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2010 6:29 PM
Subject: Re: Apple 2e

>> Many school systems in the US dumped whatever IIgs stock they had left a
>> few
>> years back (at that time you could not give them away). You can still
>> find
>> them here but now you have to pay a little (or a lot depending on
>> add-ons).
>
> Yeah, I got several that way and was able to assemble them into a working
> system. Now my IIgs has a Transwarp, RAM expansion and AE HD. It's a very
> nice system.

They are ok. I have ROM 3 with Transwarp, Apple SCSI card, and an 8MB RAM
card in one of mine. The most expensive part was the SCSI card that I paid
$50 shipped for a few years back. The rest I found in systems I snagged for
a few bucks, or as the case for the RAM card for free because I was told it
was dead (just needed corrosion on one of the board fingers cleaned). I
would think that setup would run in the hundreds on ebay. While GS/OS is ok
to play with, even with the Transwarp and all that RAM (some of which is
setup as a RAM disk) it doesn't feel that fast to me. Still playing the IIgs
version of Arkanoid is fun, and being able to network directly with a mac to
transfer files makes GS/OS useful.

As far as shipping them to the UK, it might have been worth it before USPS
got rid of surface mail. Now that everything is airmail only it would be
very expensive to ship a whole system overseas,  maybe not that bad for the
system case only.