Booting a VAXstation

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 19:00:06 CDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 4:34 PM, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

> So does it need to be that DEC-specific cable? Nothing else uses that
> size of external SCSI connector, or is the wiring nonstandard?
>
> And what kind of cable do I need to attach 50-pin SCSI drives
> internally to the SCSI card's 104-pin connector?

Everything I've read on the net indicates that the 3100 external SCSI
cable is non-standard so your best bet would be to try to acquire an
original DEC cable.

Are you missing the internal SCSI harness as well?  For a Model 38
from looking at the online manuals I believe you would want a
17-02439-01 Internal SCSI-A bus data cable.

Found that part number in this manual.  Don't take my word that is the
correct part since I don't have a Model 38 to check myself.

VAXstation 3100 Maintenance
Guide Addendum
Models 38 & 48
Order Number EK-344AA-AD-001

If that is the correct part number and it is what you need and you
can't find it anywhere else, they are listed at
http://www.jtcomputer.com for $25 and their website says the ship
international.  They also list the BC56H-03 there for $10, and I'll
probably by one from them myself.