RGB-VGA Converter -- buy or build?

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 17 15:06:57 CDT 2010

> On 3/16/2010 3:09 PM, Tony Duell wrote:
> > What are you really trying to do? Waht is the machine you are taking the
> > outputs from, and what are you trying to do with them?
>
> Trying to capture the output of a program running on an IBM 5160 that
> only looks correct via CGA RGB output.

Right. And what are you capturing it on? What inputs _exactly_ do you
have? For example, do you have separate syncs, composite sync, or
sync-on-green?

> >> I would need to go to school to understand what I would be looking at.
> >
> > Err, I didn't. For the record I have never had a single formal class in
> > any form of electronicvs.
>
> For the record, you are one of a kind.  I say that with the sincerest
> form of flattery.

Unfortuately, I suspect that is true :-(

> Had I enough free time, I could learn it too, but I don't have much
> these days.  My free time in my youth was spent learning the hardware
> from the outside (ie. assembler programming), not the inside.

I have the opposite problem. I learnt hardware first. Which means I tend
to think about probramming as to what it will do to the hardware
(somtimes at a very low level).