Reusing old floppy *drives*

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 25 13:42:26 CDT 2010

> On 24 Mar 2010 at 21:05, Tony Duell wrote:
>
> > I am not sure it applies to all FD235s -- Teac are well-known for
> > producing very different drives with slightly different model numbers
>
> I am well aware of that.  Many earlier models do not have this, but
> the ones I described--the later ones with only a drive-select jumper
> generally do.  Between various models, the jumpers are located in
> various places on the boards.  For uniformity's sake, I like the 6xxx
> series of 235HF and have a couple of cartons of those yet.  Enough to
> meet foreseeable needs.

I am pretty sure I haev the service manual suplements for the 6xxx
series. And I think all the spindle motors used on thsoe had the speed
cotnrol line.

It should be _possiuble_ to change the speed on the older drives. Sicne
the data rate remains unchanged there would be no changes to the read
filter, etc. Jsut ot the motor itseldf. You may find the motor control
chip has a speed control pin, or you could change the ceramic resonator,
I think.