Repairing core memories....

MikeS dm561 at torfree.net
Mon Nov 1 11:54:47 CDT 2010

Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 14:22:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: "O. Sharp" <ohh at panix.com>
Subject: Re: Repairing core memories....

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010, Jos Dreesen wrote:

> So I have these 2 PDP-8/L core stacks I am trying to recover:
>
> One would be perfect, if bit 3 @ adr 0 would be alive...
> Although this is 99.99% OK, it is of course not good enough.

<snip>

I suspect I'm not the only one on the list who:
  -thinks opening up a core-stack and repairing it is
  theoretically possible;
  -also thinks it would be a hell of a daunting project;
  -is somewhat amazed at the dexterity and patience of the people
  who originally hand-wired them at manufacture; and
  -thinks pulling off a repair of a core-plane by rewiring it by
  hand would give significant bragging rights.  :)

               -O.-
Agreed ;-)

But if anybody does want to, I've got a small (220x16) MDS (Fabri-Tek) core
plane with an already damaged section, cut-off edge connectors etc. to
practice on; for even more fun I could even throw in a few of two different
sizes of raw cores...

mike