DiscFerret: First working hardware, firmware and microcode!

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Nov 4 17:33:39 CDT 2010

On 4 Nov 2010 at 15:04, Fred Cisin wrote:

> Thanks.  I got sloppy.  This is one situation where I should have said
> "MFM", or clarified the comparison as "ST412 MFM", since I was trying
> to say that the RLL drives were cabled the same, but the data transfer
> rates and encoding may be different.

...and "MFM" as interpreted on an ST412-interface drive can vary
wildly between manufacturers (with respect to ID mark conventions,
CRC/ECC polynomials, etc.).

And then there was "ARLL" that was something like (3,11) (although I
don't remember exactly).  Used mostly by Perstor controllers.

I'd be mildly surprised if some enterprising firm didn't try to
record a frame of analog video at 60 fps on an ST412 track.  One rev
per frame...

Also, some ESDI drives used hard sectoring.

--Chuck