Since we are talking about 1/4" tape drives

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Nov 5 10:58:52 CDT 2010

On 11/5/10 11:51 AM, Richard wrote:
>>> How hard is it to fake out a SCSI tape drive interface with an
>>> FPGA/controller so that the tape data can be streamed from a file on
>>> another system?
>>
>> It should be fairly simple to modify the SCSI target disk mode code
>> to pretend it's a SCSI tape.
>
> "SCSI target disk mode code" um.... are you talking about a code value
> in the SCSI command stream or are you referring to some piece of
> source code?
>
> If the latter, which source are you talking about?

   SCSI target mode implementations meaning OS device drivers that serve
SCSI targets to client machines, via various transports.  Nearly all
modern OSs have such functionality now.  In one implementation I've
used, you can define a (possibly large) file, configure the driver to
point at it, and have another computer connected via a SCSI bus
(configured with a different initiator address of course) see that file
as if it were a physical disk drive.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire