DiscFerret: First working hardware, firmware and microcode!

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 19:30:38 CDT 2010

Tony Duell wrote:
> It is, indeed. I suspect ST412s are more common than ST406s though That
> is not one mf my typos. There is an ST406, it's a single-platter, 2 head
> thing, otherwise the same as the ST412.

ST406's are very rare things IME. Even ST506's aren't that common... :-)

(I have serious regrets over selling my Apple ///, just because of the pair of
ST506 drives which went with it)

> [1] I will admit I've not looked at the design yet. Mainly because I have
> no way of using one. I fully appreciate that with the amount of data that
> has to be transfered back to the host machine, you need a fast modern
> interface like USB. But I don't hava suitable host.

I think I would have much preferred SCSI over USB, but you can't please all of
the people etc. and it's still an astounding piece of work.

Whilst most things annoy me unless I can get all the service info, I suppose
I'm just less picky about PCs - I don't mind treating them as a black box,
unlike many other things.

cheers

Jules