Amstrad 3in disc drive troubleshooting

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Nov 7 17:32:45 CST 2010

On 7 Nov 2010 at 19:47, Tony Duell wrote:

> The UK model uses and STK7308 switching regulator hybrid module. Do
> you happen to know if yours does too?
>
> Does it have 60 Hz vertcial sync?  In these machines, the video and
> syncs are generated bu the Amstrad 40028 gate array (IC 101 on the
> logic board) which also contains the trivial bootstrap ROM (thre is no
> seprate ROM or EPROM on the logic board). So I would assume that if
> the sync rate is changed, this chip has ot be something different.

When I get a chance, I'll get a screwdriver out and check it, but my
memory is that I used the standard (European) schematic to locate and
replace one of those silly little circuit protectors in the power
supply--with a picofuse of the same rating.

That Amstrad gate array is the principal thing I really don't like
about the machine.  Undocumented and probably irreplaceable.
Otherwise, a decent graphics display, lots of RAM, what's not to
like?

--Chuck