PDP-11/34A bring up

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 15:15:59 CST 2010

On 11/8/10, Chris Elmquist <chrise at pobox.com> wrote:
> Seems silly but it might be easier to scavenge the connector off the back
> of a dead RL01 or RL02 and make it into the transition than to find the
> actual transition!

It's the same part, AFAIK.  What I have on one rack is a special DEC
mounting bracket that can accept two of the round-cable-to-flat-cable
transitions - it's a bit larger than a pack of playing cards and
easily affixes to an H960.  Mine has one transition connector, but
there is room to mount a second one.  Having worked on a few RL01/RL02
drives, ISTR it's the same part that's bolted to the back of the
drives.

> Did the transition (which I'm sure has a more proper DEC name) originally
> come with the RL01/02?  The RL11 or equiv controller?  or with the rack?

I _think_ it was part of the cab kit with the controller.  You could
probably find the right DEC part number (my guess is a 70-xxx...) with
the RL11 printset.

The arrangements I know of are...

RL8A - round cable with a ZIF end for the drive and a 2x20 "Berg" end
for the controller

RLV11/RLV12 - round cable with ZIF end for the drive and a 2x20 Berg
end for the controller, but a different DEC P/N than the RL8A cable
(not positive and if true, don't remember why it's different).

RL11 - flat cable from RL11 to rack bracket, round cable with ZIF
connectors on _both_ ends to go from transition connector to first
drive

All drives: round cable with ZIF on each end to go from drive to
drive, plus ZIF-connector terminator that is externally identical to,
but not electrically identical to RK06/RK07 terminator.

I know I have more drives than cables and controllers, but if someone
wants to buy a zero-hour RL02, I can fix you up (located in Columbus,
OH).

-ethan