Installing Ultrix 4.4 on a DECstation 5000 Model 240

Rob Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Wed Nov 17 17:57:25 CST 2010

RZ57.

> > Could this be an issue with the CD-ROM not supporting 512byte blocks?
> > I know that microVAXen need this to install VMS, perhaps this is true
> > with Ultrix also.
> >
> > With some drives you have to set a jumper to force it to 512byte blocks.
> >
> > -chuck

I found the sector size jumper on the CD-ROM and took it off, that was
worse, it would not boot off the CD at all. So I can only conclude that the
jumper was right before and was already set to a 512-byte sector size. So I
think the conclusion is that the CD-ROM drive should be OK.

Regards

Rob