what was VMS/OpenVMS written in?

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Tue Nov 30 22:59:55 CST 2010

At 8:38 PM -0800 11/30/10, Fred Cisin wrote:
>On Tue, 30 Nov 2010, Richard wrote:
>>  asserted that *all* desktop and server OS software was written in C,
>>  so I was trying to think of other OSes (whether current or not) that
>>  weren't written in C to drive home the point that LMW is not the
>>  entire world. (LMW = linux, mac, windows)
>
>Howzbout:
>CP/M
>MS-DOS
>Amiga-OS
>Apple Lisa (Pascal?)
>How much of the Lisa Pascal code was still in it when the first Mac OS
>came out?
>Why did Windoze use a Pascal calling protocol for its functions?

Off the top of my head, the following were all pretty much written in
Assembly Language.
GCOS-6
GCOS-8
Multics
Vulcan
TOPS-10
TOPS-20
RSX-11
RT-11
RSTS/E
DOS-11

Of course they also mostly came before the C language.  In 1990-93
while we had C on the GCOS-8 system I worked on, it was largely
unusable.

There have been a couple hobbyist OS's for Micro's written in the
last 10-15 years that aren't done in C.

Zane

| healyzh at aracnet.com              | OpenVMS Enthusiast         |
|                                  | Photographer               |