what was VMS/OpenVMS written in?

Rick Murphy rick at rickmurphy.net
Tue Nov 30 19:46:10 CST 2010

At 07:50 PM 11/30/2010, Ethan Dicks wrote:

>In 7.3, I'm sure that's now true.  I'm pretty sure I remember some
>COBOL and BASIC back in the 4.x and 5.x days, but I can't promise that
>my memory is 100% correct.

I think that's highly unlikely, particularly with COBOL since emulated
code wasn't something DEC wanted in the distribution. (and COBOL in the
4.x days used a number of instructions that weren't implemented in
MicroVaxen.) DEC didn't want clearly poorly performing software to be
in the kit.

That's the argument that allowed TECO32 to become part of the VMS
distribution.
         -Rick