Evolution of the Apple Mouse

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Sun Oct 3 13:03:11 CDT 2010

> I do worry sometimes about all the appliances we have with IMHO

Not a microwave oven, but for washing machines :

Old washing machine ran for 40 years. In that time it needed one repair
to its electromechancal timer, something which involved me cutting about
1" of brass strip and screwing it in place. Of course in those 40 years
it's needed new hosesm seals, etc, but I am only considering the timer...

New washing machine : After about 4 years, the motor control module
failed. And it was the custom microcontroller chip. I have the wiring
diagram, but not of course schematics of the module, but I could prove
the relays, triac, etc were fine. And they won't sell just the chip :-(.
Result : Over \punds 100 for the motor controller.

Now which do you think I prefer?

> unnecessary electronics since we don't have a whole house surge
> supressor.  e.g. Clothes washer and dryer, range, refrigerator.  The

Our new ovens do have electronic timers, but the thermostat is still the good
old bulb + bellows type. And it's fairly obvious how to bypass the timer
if it fails so you can still cook manually (which is all we ever so anyway).