IBM System 3 / was Re: VTL/Dutchess logic

Russ Bartlett arcbe2001 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 11 19:02:20 CDT 2010

Correction The System/3 was the first RPG II machine and the System/34 also used RPG II whereas the System/38 introduced RPG III,  The problem with the logic cycle was that it didn't fit well into the interactive model environment.  Interestingly Honeywell (Italy I think) introduced a RPG III compiler for their DPS System 4000 IDBS4 was their attempt at a relational database as found on System/38.  THe IBM 360/20 was the predecessor to the System/3 and unlike the other 360's was a 16 bit machine with a reduced instruction set.

Russ