Xerox Alto on ebay (not mine!)

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Sun Oct 17 20:00:31 CDT 2010

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010, William Donzelli wrote:
> Back then, information just was not viewed as very important at all.
> Comparing how people thought back then to how we think now just does
> not work well - so much to our very cores is different.

In modern times, who has attempted a project on the scope of the Library
of Alexandria?

I don't know how well they planned against accidental fires, but they were
certainly not adequately prepared against military vandalism.

> > If people can't access the info, it doesn't do much good - who's
> > going to have a working DVD-ROM 1000+ years from now?
> In 1000+ years, our tools will have advanced to the point that we
> could just ask Machine X to scan the mystery disk in our hand and
> figure out what it is. We will have analytical sensors that will look
> at every atom of the DVD, and nearly infinite computing power (and AI
> that will make us seem as smart as a toadstool) to figure out the
> format. Unless the Jihad comes early.

But,
will the machines care enough to bother analyzing such petroglyphs?
Will the machines share the information with the humans?  Or, by that
time, will the machines have realized the importance of exterminating the
biological infestation that came over on the Gogafrincham B Ark?

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com