Test Diablo Model 31 drive and disk pack on a PC (Operation Alto Restoration)

Ian King IanK at vulcan.com
Sun Oct 24 23:56:27 CDT 2010

Nick,

I know about this from talking with Al about this subject: the drive does NOT connect to the PC.  Al wrote a program that (as he said) runs on the Alto, talks through the utility port on the Alto, and communicates with another program running on a modern PC (actually, ISTR, a Mac).  If your Alto isn't running, it won't help you.

Take a look at the documentation (available on Bitsavers) regarding the disk interface, if you have any doubts as to the challenge of what you suggest.  -- Ian