Help resurrect my Xerox Alto

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Mon Sep 13 19:20:35 CDT 2010

On 9/12/10 5:00 PM, Ian King wrote:
  drive, but +5V is only measuring at
> around 2.5V.  The lamps on the front of the drive do not light-up, and
> the LOAD/RUN button does nothing, hence the door lock does not unlock.
>
> Here is a link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx80CvjuvyE

OK.. just watched the video. The CPU is fine. The red button disables the
servo in the drive. His 5v is hosed in the drive, not the CPU.

He originally reported that he smelled
something burning in the drive, so I assume the low voltage supply inside
is toast. 5v is derived from the incoming +15.

It also appears to be a file server machine. It has the 80/300mb disc control
in the bottom, which is what all the colored ribbon cables are down there in
the CPU.