HP 9816, and more, available in Eugene, Oregon

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 30 12:46:36 CDT 2010

> On 29 Sep 2010 at 18:31, Tony Duell wrote:
>
> > I can't believe you made the other somehat common mistake of assuming
> > the thing with a CRT in it is just a monitor and all the logic is in
> > the disk drive.
>
> That wasn't me.  I know better--I think I've seen one of these before-
> -an incredibly crammed-full 68K CPU board.

Yes, the 9816 CPU board is pretty well packed. So is the 9817 ('shoebox'
style case) board. Theyr'e the same size, but the latter contains no user
RAM, instead thaere's an MMU (and not a single-chip thing). There are
other changes to the keybaord/sound circuitry too.

I've never tried it, but it appears you could put hteh 9816 CPU board in
the shoebox cae or the 9817 board in the 9816 'monitor style' case with
just some link changes.

Incidnetally, the disk drive unit does contain a microprocesosr (6809)
and it is possible to download and run programs on it (there's a
diangonstic command for this purpose). Something else that I have never
tried.