WTD: 8-inch floppy drive

Philip Pemberton classiccmp at philpem.me.uk
Tue Mar 1 06:20:56 CST 2011

Hi guys,

I'm trying to track down an 8-inch floppy drive to read an Intel MDS
M2FM disc I've been sent for adding to the DiscFerret decoder engine.
Specifically: it's an ISIS boot floppy, in SS/DD format.

Does anyone have a spare 8in drive gathering dust in a corner somewhere?
Based on the prices on Greed-Bay, I get the impression most of the
sellers have been engaging in some form of abuse of illicit
substances.... I mean, seriously, $700 for a Shugart 801, "untested"
(which would seem to be a synonym for "I know it's broken but I sure as
hell won't admit it!") and missing the head-amp / motor control PCB?

Thanks,
--
Phil.
classiccmp at philpem.me.uk