hardware multiply/divide functionality in CPUs

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Mon Mar 7 17:49:47 CST 2011

In article <4D756F00.6000706 at gmail.com>,
    Jules Richardson <jules.richardson99 at gmail.com> writes:

> Yes, anything that includes a dedicated multiply or divide instruction as
> part of the instruction set; I suspect a lot of the early implementations
> fall into the "simple shift-add" that I mentioned due to the lack/cost of
> silicon.

(BTW, line lengths of about 75 or so characters are *much* more
friendly to quoting than line lenghts of *exactly* 80 characters.)

I don't think the multiply implementation in the IBM 701 was shift/add
microcode variety.  That wouldn't have been very performant for its
intended purpose (scientific computing).