2" floppy disks (Zenith Minisport laptop)

Chris M chrism3667 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 8 14:22:49 CST 2011

Hi,
 I've had 2 of these for a while. Took a gander at one of them last night, and lo and behold, there was a disk in 1. Depressing the button did nothing to free the disk, so I too pliers and yanked it out. It was a thing of beauty. Unfortunately though the platter was all mangled up.
 Ok. Took the thing apart and the substrate or whatever the h* measured maybe a hair over .001" using a cheap caliper (won't mention country of origin). Took apart a 3 1/2" disk and it's platter measured about .003". Became feverish and measured a video tape and it was oh .00075".
 I'm aware that the oxides used differs on different media. But, and I realize there's a discrepancy in the thickness, but are the platters used in a 3 1/2" disk compatible w/the 2" standard. These things are just so friggin cute, I'd like to see them running again. I doubt anyone is manufacturing 2" disks out there.
 And incidentally does anyone know what computers used the Fujitsu M2551a 5 1/4" floppy drive? Something tells me it may have been used in the AT & T 6300/Olivetti?/Xerox? units, but I'm not sure.