anyone using collectiveaccess for their collections?

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Tue Mar 8 17:57:49 CST 2011

On 3/8/11 3:09 PM, Richard wrote:
> knows about physical pathnames in the
>> catalog records, so that's a little dangerous.
>
> Can you elaborate on this?  I'm not sure I understand what you mean by
> this comment.

We ran into a problem where image paths were hardcoded with windows pathnames,
which causes the OSX version of the client to fail.

> Does that cover digital asset management as you see it?

No, it is the issue of maintaining the integrity of the contents of a digital archive
when it is stored in a normal database.

When something is put into a repository, it should (in theory) be impossible to change
or delete it. Working with real storage media makes this an impossibility.

It should also be replicated, and all of the copies periodically verified that haven't changed.

This is VERY different from the model that a normal database works under, that records
are constantly created, deleted, and modified.