Digital archiving tools

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Fri Mar 11 17:31:17 CST 2011

On 3/11/11 2:05 PM, Richard wrote:
> I guess I never thought about this before, but it strikes me that
> what's unique about digital archives is that they are "living" unlike
> archives of traditional documents.  You want to keep the digital
> archive replicating to newer storage medium and actively test it for
> integrity and redundancy because the bits themselves are what matter
> and they are abstract and the medium on which they are stored is
> transitory.
>
> Interesting!

That is one of the problems that I have working with archivists trained
in the preservation of paper. We are blessed with working with our artifacts that
can be copied without loss, and can be easily indexed, but we have no media
of sufficient capacity or readers to recover them for more than a few decades,
and there is even less money available for digital archives than traditional paper
ones.