Three phase and IBM

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 20 15:52:20 CDT 2011

> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 20:17:22 +0000 (GMT)
> ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk (Tony Duell) wrote:
>
> > I believe there is a 4 pin version of that connector.
> There are several variants of this connector. A blue version with one
> phase, neutral and ground is quite common for caravans.

there are many, many, versions in serveal colours. This is what we used
to call a 'BS4343' connecotr, and is sometimes known by the the trade
name 'Commando' in the UK.

Yellow 110V ones are common in 16A and 32A versions on industrial
portable power tools over here (which as I mentioned a few months back
are un off a 55-0-55V insolating transformer with the cnetre tap
earthed).

The blue 220V ones, in 16A and 32A versions are also quite common, I've
also seen 63A and 125A ones.

And red, 415V 3 phase ones are common in both 4 pin and 5 pin versions.

There arel aosl other colours for 50V, etc, but those ae much less common.

> > Whether it is commonly used is another matter...
> That's it. At least in germany the red five prong 6h type CEE plug is

Sure. It is over here too. And if it's used, the neutral pin will be
connected, so the wiring will be star (Wye). But I would not go so far as
to claim that delta-connected 3 phasemains on the 4 pin socket never exists.