Three phase and IBM

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Sun Mar 20 17:00:58 CDT 2011

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011, Eric Smith wrote:
> I wouldn't necessarily even trust the schematics of a device.  It's all
> too common for the published schematics to not actually match the equipment.

Don't necessarily trust "electricians" or utility companies either!

35 years ago, in a brand new building (roof, but no floor yet), landlord's
electrician and PG&E wired the three phase for my compressor wrong,
providing ~200 volts to all of the outlets.

30 years ago, right before I was hired at Merritt college, they replaced
the PDP which had been having lots of problems with a third party drive,
with two rooms full of 5150s.  (The primary IBM mainframe was at the
district office).  The college sold the PDP to Richmond School District
(Now "West Contra Costa").  PG&E hooked it up incorrectly, and "destroyed"
it.  PG&E agreed to provide Richmond with an all new machine, (including
replacing the flaky drive)  if everybody would agree to a face-saving
story that it had been destroyed by lightning.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com