Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Tue Dec 2 08:29:07 CST 2014

Jacob, I went along a similar journey with VAX to find a terminal based
word processor. I used ALLIN1 back in the day so knew that was a
possibility - the word processing module is a successor of WPS-8 called
WPS-PLUS - this was a stand-alone application for a while before ALLIN1
came along.

Skip Walter, one of the original architects has written about it here:
http://skipwalter.net/2012/01/13/the-making-of-enterprise-software-all-in-1/
There are a couple of other articles on his site too.

I installed and used ALLIN1 for my Retrochallenge 2009 Winter Warmup entry,
there are some screen shots and information here:
http://www.wickensonline.co.uk/retro/allin1.html

What I have found is that terminal based word processing software is pretty
thin on the ground across the board. The other alternative I've played with
is WordPerfect for Unix. I have that running on a Sun Ultra 5 under Solaris
2.9 - there is both a graphical and command line executable. Others have
tried to find similar software - a word processor you can telnet to
effectively - but there isn't a great deal out there.

To bring this full circle I also connected a daisywheel printer (a JUKI
6100) to the Ultra 5 and successfully printed out articles written in
WordPerfect.

If I could find a language I was comfortable with and a PDP environment I'd
give writing a rudimentary word processor a go (think the kind of
application you might have found on a CBM-64 back in the day for example).

Finally, TeX (or probably more likely LaTeX) is a great tool that easily
gets you hooked once you've had a play. It is *extremely* powerful so you
have to put a bit of effort in for anything fancy, but for banging out
letters you're in a straight ASCII text editor  - no frills (or maybe
thrills?) required. Definitely requires a page-based printer however
(inkjet/laser) - happy to be proved wrong but unless you have an
application to print pixels on your daisywheel (it has been done mind!)
you're out of luck using that as an output device from LaTex (actually that
might be a bit harsh - lots of documentation systems can convert to LaTeX
and I remember a terminal based preview application so maybe there would be
a bit of milage in there but it would mostly be a clash of technologies I
feel).

Mark.