is there any word processing software for the pdp11?

Roe Peterson roeapeterson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 16:11:57 CST 2014

On Dec 2, 2014, at 2:21 PM, Fred Cisin <cisin at xenosoft.com> wrote:

>>> long long int A;
>>> int B;
>>> A = B << 32;
>> Hmm.  What C compiler did this, on what distro?  I'm pretty sure that
>> this throws a compiler warning in gcc with -Wall...
>
> WARNING.  NOT ERROR.

Right, as I said.  So long as no syntax or linking issue prevents compilation, I wouldn't expect the C compiler to error out, but (if requested) generate a warning.

C does not attempt to prevent programmer bungling, just programmer impossibility :-)

> I always advised my students to turn up warnings to the max, but many
> didn't want to.

Back in the day, many beginning programmers (like me) poopooed lint, too, despite the 10 rules of computer programming cf. Henry Spencer.

> And, are you aware of what some intel chips will do if you ask them to
> shift 33 bits?  (anything >32)

No, but I imagine it could be spectacular.  The history of computing has a bunch of stories regarding grim results when trying to execute impossible or unimplemented instructions.