Wanted: Twinax 5250 Style Terminal

Mike M mikerm at mikeslab.net
Wed Dec 3 16:39:10 CST 2014

Congratulations!

You will need a console directly connected via a console card (through a
twinax block as you stated) to do any alternate IPL. You can also get
twinax baluns to convert to CAT3 to avoid high cost of twinax if you
don't find it anywhere cheap.

You will need a 5250 emulator, that is correct. There was a free one out
there that was workable, but that is after you have TCP/IP set up if you
do actually re-install. If you are installing a version of OS/400, the
gotcha comes in that you need a serial number, and IBM will give it to
you IF they have the exact same OS/400 version installed that is
registered in their system. Otherwise, you have a 70 day trial.

Word of warnings and a few cautions (I don't know how familiar you are
with these systems):
1. Those are NOT standard PC PCI slots. Any standard PCI card you stick
in WILL release the magic smoke.
2. Some cards are compatible with some models of machines. When I had my
as/400's, one console card didn't work in the other, it's very
frustrating. IBM has all the documentation online for what card part
numbers are compatible with what machines.

I really miss my big iron machines. AS/400's are really neat machines,
but are also very frustrating at times.

Mike