Strange i-con Unibus (?) board

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.plus.com
Tue Dec 9 03:01:41 CST 2014

On 09/12/2014 07:55, Göran Axelsson wrote:
> Another computer with similar SIP hybrides is the ND-5000 and they are
> found on several places in the CPU, for instance in the
>   - MMU, http://sintran.com/sintran/hardware/nd-5000/nd-324701.html
>   - ALU http://sintran.com/sintran/hardware/nd-5000/nd-324704.html
>   - Micro program instruction controller
> http://sintran.com/sintran/hardware/nd-5000/nd-324709.html
> My guess is that they are fast memory modules

Maybe, but SIPPs (as I've usually seen them called, to distinguish them
from SIPs: see below) are just SIMMs that have pins.  They were once
moderately common in 256K and 1M sizes and I've seen a number of
286/386-era PCs that used them.  I have a few here (SIPPs, not the PCs),
and a couple of MXV11-Bs.  They're no faster than common SIMMs of the
same vintage.

There's also a once-common type of chip - most commonly memory chips -
that are SIP (not SIPP) packages as opposed to DIP packages.  I have a
few machines that use those, too.

--
Pete