SCSI tape question

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Dec 12 12:41:50 CST 2014

On 12/12/2014 09:48 AM, Al Kossow wrote:

> This is bringing back a lot of bad memories..
>
> You may want to look at
> https://www.brouhaha.com/~eric/software/tapeutils/
> and John Wilson's tapeio routines

I've seen those, but encountered issues with them and decided the only
route was to roll my own. Nothing new--I simply went back to my old
production code that I wrote around 1990 to handle SCSI tape drives in
general (DDS, DLT, SLT) and resurrected some things.

But, like a lot of code, my old code worked with tape of *known* format.
  Working with completely unknown formats has been interesting, to say
the least.

Thankfully, I've been spared the issue of "long" tapes--that is, tapes
with physical blocks longer than 65KB--I know they're out there, though.

--Chuck