Favourite text based word processing software

mark at markesystems.com mark at markesystems.com
Mon Dec 15 16:53:39 CST 2014

> Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 17:10:07 +0000 (WET)
> From: Peter Coghlan <cctalk at beyondthepale.ie>
<...>
> Many years after performing this somewhat less than useful task, my advice
> is:
> don't write your word processor in FORTRAN IV on an IBM S/370.

One of my earlier programming projects as a "professional" was to port the
WordMARC scientific word processing system to Apollo workstations (before
they were acquired by HP).  This was all done in Fortran-77, which was
reasonably well supported on those systems, and included fairly
easy-to-access hooks to get at graphical functions.  Because of the
software's heritage and fundamental design, though, it still ended up
looking like a fixed-font terminal application, although running in sizable
windows at least.
~~
Mark Moulding