PDP-8 for sale

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Sun Dec 21 11:41:57 CST 2014

On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 08:31:02AM -0800, Al Kossow wrote:
[...]
> Pricing and the quality of stuff has gone cuckoo there.  The 'Vintage
> Computing' section is now filling up with AGP cards, VGA cables, and $100
> 386SX boards. One whole section now is pretty much nothing but late 90's Mac
> swag.

To be devil's advocate, what is "vintage"?  A quick trawl through that category
on ebay.co.uk brings up exactly what I'd expect to see.  It's about 80% popular
British 8 bit machines and low-end Amigas, one nasty-looking Pentium desktop
(which at £25 is at least £50 too much), some other horrible Wintel portables,
and then we get to the more interesting stuff: a Poquet PC (yeah, it's x86, but
it's *interesting* x86), a cache of useful-looking EPROMs in various sizes, and
a 70s vintage "TV Game".  A better hit rate for my interests than Amazon's
"recommendations", if anything!

I'd argue that the late 90s is now vintage.  After all, my favourite vintage
booze comes from 1998...