Osborne Vixen - Zenith 7" display t-shooting issues

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Nov 7 01:30:08 CST 2014

Well, Tony may have a problem with this one, but SMPSU transistors and
HOTs do share a lot of common characterists.  For example, instead of
the NTE unit, consider the MJE13007, a old Motorola design that saw use
in both SMPSUs as well as HOTs.  Common as dirt.

eBay, for example, has a BIN for 10 of them for less than $6 shipped.
(item 140811430465).

Compare the datasheets for yourself.

--CHuck

P.S.  I have a terrible, but relevant confession--I don't like to throw
things out as long as they contain useful parts.  For example, I
accumulate bad CFLs then remove the lamp, extricate the electronics PCB,
line them up out of doors over a metal pail and apply a heat gun to the
trace side of the little pcb until the solder softens.  Grab with pliers
and bang each one against the side of the pail to allow components to
drop out and then move on.

Right now, I'm holding what fell out of the innards of a 20W CFL base.
There are several power transistors with heat sinks, several inductors,
diodes (of the 1N400x type), miscellaneous capacitors, etc.  What makes
this germane to the topic under discussion is that the base contained
two NXP PHE 13005 transistors.  Compare the datasheet with your NTE one.

Like I said, common as dirt.