Who's rewired their house for this hobby?

Holm Tiffe holm at freibergnet.de
Sun Nov 23 09:24:00 CST 2014

Chuck Guzis wrote:

> On 11/22/2014 03:13 PM, Holm Tiffe wrote:
>
> >Hmm, I'm from germany and here it is pretty much normal to have 3phase
> >230V 50Hz power, at least in rural areas and newer installations in cities.
> >Stadard here is 3x32A.
>
> Well, 3-phase HV distribution is very common here, but transformers for
> residential distribution are single-phase as a rule.    The distribution
> on the utility easement on my property is 6600V 3-phase, but only two of
> the wires are buried along my driveway to the transformer sitting on a
> concrete pad in my front yard.  I can probably have all the single-phase
> power that I want by changing out the transformer, but adding that third
> wire for 3-phase would undoubtedly cost me substantially.
>
> The model here is to distribute single-phase and balance the load by
> connecting individual transformers to two of the three 3-phase lines.
>
> --Chuck

Yes, I know.
Here the HV Distribution gets transformed down trough 3 phase Transformers for
groups of Houses suppying 3x400V AC between the Phases and so 3x230V between
each Phase and Ground. There isn't a separate Transformer for each house at
all. Even my oven in the kitchen has 3 Phase power and the distribution
Paneels (3 of them in my Appartement) have 3 phases. If I want to have
this on the wall of my room here I just have to connect a 3phase outlet
to the paneel (3x16A CEE is standardized). All images are frome somewhere
on the net, not my own..

http://www.frankenspalter.ch/WebRoot/Store/Shops/Frankenspalter/51CA/E94B/5BC3/27E3/0727/5112/18E2/2B71/136995_Stecker_CEE_16A_5_polig_Phasenwechsel_(1).jpg

http://www.elektrofachmarkt-online.de/Media/Shop/352403.jpg

The circuit breakers in the distribution paneel are connected to
phase after phase (L1,L2,L3,L1,L3...).

That is what a distribution paneel here is looking like (don't know what
the read arrow means, it points to an RCD, an security switch that
measusres I-differences from the phases and the Neutral-Conductor
(Ground) and if the difference gets above 30mA it cuts the Power)

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff244/Holzprofi/Sicherung.jpg

The grey plastic strips below the circuit Breakers are the 3-phase
distributor rails that do the L1,L2,L3,L1 .. thing.

http://www.dehn.de/pdbRes/DE_DE_Web/480/31828/previewImg/415646/900595.jpg

A standard wall outlet is looking like this here:

http://www.elektro-kaib.de/images/product_images/original_images/G044003.jpg

and thats a (heavy) plug:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e4/Schuko_standard.jpg

That one also fits:

https://www.netzleitungen.com/media/images/org/Eurostecker_Typ_A1.jpg

..and is used for isolated devices w/o an metal housing.

Can't see any advantage of the american system to the german, sorry.
Frome here it looks pretty outdated.
But I find the british Ring system really clever. They have a Ring
distribution with breakers at ~25A and every Plug of every Device has it's
own fuse integrated in the Plug. You can't switch Phase and Neutral while
rotating the Plug 180 Degrees as it is possible here in Germany since the
Plugs and Sockets are assymmetrical. On the other side you can easily kill
someone slashing the very heavy Plug over his head...

Regards,

Holm
  www.tsht.de, info at tsht.de, Fax +49 3731 74200, Mobil: 0172 8790 741