Yay, now I need some Osborne boot media!

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Mon Nov 24 13:25:10 CST 2014

    > From: Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com

    > The flamewar about RX02 is based on defining what is meant by the
    > phrase "MFM floppy"! ... The RX02 is NOT an "FM floppy"; the RX02 is
    > NOT an "MFM floppy". It is a hybrid.

Exactly.

    > In terms of the floppy ITSELF, disks rated for FM or rated for MFM
    > should both work

I guess I don't understand this. Single-density FM and double-density MFM
have the same maximum number of flux reversals per unit distance (which is
how the RX02 can write double-density data on a single-density floppy). So
from the magnetic domain perspective, the coating can't really see any
difference between single-density FM and double-density MFM. So what's
the difference, if any, between a disk which is "rated for FM" and one
"rated for MFM"?

	Noel