36bit still in use ?

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Fri Nov 28 16:56:44 CST 2014

On 2014-11-28 23:49, Sean Caron wrote:
> Sorry, I was just alluding to the "board" inside the ~1U device labeled as
> "XKL TOAD-2" in the video at around 0:30 in.
>
> Watching it a second time through, however, it appears that the TOAD-2 box
> shown in the video actually contains two discrete boards!
>
> I don't think that's an off-the-shelf product, LOL. I assume the board is a
> common system controller used in their network equipment product line and
> the TOAD-2 is a one-off; a few system controllers from stock, a chassis
> with plexiglas lid swapped in and a few extra holes drilled... produced per
> request of a good customer ;)
>
> I'm wondering now, do you think the TOAD-2 actually does anything? Or is it
> just a static display to demonstrate minimization of the PDP-10 over time?
> Can it run TOPS? Or is it just a router lacking any network interfaces?

It runs TOPS-20. I've seen and played at the EXEC prompt of the TOAD-2.
And XKL are not making these as one-offs.
Yes, the one at LCM has been modified for display purposes, with such as
the plexiglass top.

But if you read the thread, someone actually went to XKL and fetched the
firmware upgrade image they provide, and it's clearly for a 36-bit machine.
This is the firmware they provide as a general download to customers.

This would not make sense if it were, as you suggest, a one-off product.

	Johnny