foam in DEC SBB drives, ok to remove?

Nigel Williams nw at retroComputingTasmania.com
Sat Nov 29 15:09:50 CST 2014

On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 3:51 AM, Fred Cisin <cisin at xenosoft.com> wrote:
> Not only does it get crumbly, there is sometimes an intermediate stage
> where it smells like vinegar, and is a strong acid.

ick! thanks for the tip, will get right on it.

The most egregious use of foam I've encountered was in a token ring
hub, where a block of foam was use to support the small PCB which ran
the width of the hub. The PCB held the relays that sit behind the
sockets, of course with the foam atomized the PCB was swinging around
on the wires.