RD54 Stopped Spinning

Robert Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Fri Apr 3 02:58:47 CDT 2015

Bit of an update. I put the transistors back as they seem to be OK and
applied power to see if probing around would show anything. The Z8 was
getting power, and the transistors did heat up within a few seconds, but the
disk did not spin at all.  Is this going to be a problem with the motor
itself?

On a side note, I spotted a component which I can't identify, folded down
above the Z8 and stuck to what looks like an adhesive pad on the PCB. The
can looks a bit mottled/corroded. On another non-working RD54 it seems to be
marked "12039". I am not sure what this component is, although it looks like
it could be a capacitor. Anyone know what this might be?

Regards

Rob