RD54 Stopped Spinning

Robert Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Sun Apr 5 16:40:44 CDT 2015

In
> fact, the FET may be entirely OPEN, and the waveform you see is coming
from
> the other two driven phases.
>
> Kind of strange that one gate signal is a smooth ramp, the others have
some
> wave on the top.
> But, the drive probably has a current sense resistor in the common source
leg
> of the low-side transistors, so that is feeding some of the current
waveform
> back to the gates.  So, it may well be the one with the linear ramp on the
top
> indicates the drain is open.
>
> Jon

I tested each FET using a component tester (Peak DCA55) and it appeared to
show that they were all good. I believe they are FETs because the XT-1140
schematic someone posted shows FETs and the component tester also reported
them as FETs. I do wonder if one of them is only partially working, I seem
to remember that the one you point out as having smooth ramp was indeed the
one with the wobble. If I have further trouble I will follow Tony's
suggestion and swap them around to see if the wobble moves, but detaching
them from the heat-sink looks to be difficult.

Regards

Rob