Living Computer Museum in Seattle

Rick Bensene rickb at bensene.com
Thu Apr 9 16:28:24 CDT 2015

> I thought I'd drop a note after visiting the LCM on Saturday. I cannot
endorse
> this museum enough, I had a complete blast.

I second this wholeheartedly.  I've been to the museum twice.  Both
times were just amazing.

Seeing a running Sigma9 system was truly stunning.

The CDC6500 that they are in the midst of restoring, and the simple
enormity of the project, is stunning.  I know they will be successful in
getting it running again.

The huge PDP 10 that is up and running  is mind-blowing.

Having machines like the PDP 8/e system running OS/8 (they need to get
MULTOS8 or TSS/8 running on it) and being able to sit down at them and
play is wonderful.   There's a nice PDP 11 system that you can also sit
down and play with.

The rows of machines like Commodore VIC-20, 64, Amiga; Atari 400/800,
etc.; TRS 80's; Processor Tech SOL, and so many others, up and running
just waiting for someone to come up and use them....it's just
astounding.

The static displays of vintage stuff like an unassembled Altair kit;
Heathkit radio kits and evolution of storage technology are really neat.

There's also a great area devoted to the history of Microsoft.  It's
really quite startling just how much software has come out of Microsoft.
I think that they have examples of just about all of it.

Paul Allen has made a great museum.  The folks that staff the museum are
very friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful.

If you happen to be in Seattle, and have some time to spend (each time I
was there far longer than I anticipated just because I was having so
much fun that time just flew by), definitely go.  I would venture to say
that no one would go away disappointed.  <plug> Become a member!.</plug>
It helps support the museum, and gives you some nice perks for being a
member.

Rick Bensene
The Old Calculator Museum
http://oldcalculatormuseum.com