Late-model Hercules card

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Apr 21 18:49:31 CDT 2015

On 04/21/2015 03:17 PM, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

>   FWIW as I remember in Poland there were still new deployments of HGC
> clone installations in early 1990s, like 1992 or so, in education.  That
> stuff was presumably much cheaper, being phased out by VGA.  The boards I
> remember from that period were were highly integrated and much smaller
> though, like about the length of an 8-bit ISA slot which is what they
> took.  A printer port was included of course.

POS use was quite common well into the 90s.  Monochrome monitors were
significantly less expensive, power-hungry, and finicky.    In addition,
it afforded near-VGA resolution if graphics was necessary.

A related episode was the deployment of monochrome VGA monitors.
Significantly less expense than the color ones.

--Chuck